WINERY

Sarmentero is placed in the backyard of a castilian house in the tiny town of Quintanilla de Arriba, Valladolid.

The property was acquired in 1942. Until that year, the house was part of the three miller houses in the town. From 1942, the house was dedicated to the production of tiles, cattle breeding and growing wheat and barley along with personal wine production.

Generations of vine growers gave us the knowledge, discipline, love and the passion for wine to show its best nuances. Amparo Repiso, fourth generation winemaker, decided to go further with her dream and start her own winery in 2004. She started with just one barrel of wine, 60 gallons. That wine succeeded so much among everybody that she decided to keep producing wine and has been slowly increasing the production little by little to this day. 

After many years of winemaking in small adobe pens, we decided to renovate the building in 2013. A new building that allowed us to work more comfortably and efficiently but preserving the soul of our wine, the soul our ancestors taught us.

 

bodega

The new facilities have different spaces (barrel room, fermentation and production room, warehouse, tasting room and host and office room), all of them perfectly put together with our Castilian landscape and soul.

VINEYARDS

Sarmentero vineyards are in the heart of Ribera del Duero, located on chalky-clayish soils and planted 100% with tempranillo.

We support and use a sustainable practice of winemaking and viticulture taking care of both the raw material (grapes, vines) and the environment. Our non-agressive practices and sustainable and natural winemaking practices are shown in our product: our wine reflects the weather, the climate, the terroir, the soul of the area.

We own our vineyards, both of them planted with 100% tempranillo grape:

Pago de Oyales: more than 16 years old, 12.3 acres, this vineyard is located between Quintanilla de Arriba and Peñafiel.

Peñuelas: more than 12 years old, around 5 acres. This is the closest land we have, barely 500 yards from the winery.